Saturday, February 28, 2009

Memories of World War II Combat Photo Display

DSC_3591


If you missed the traveling exhibit "Memories of World War II, Photographs from the Archives of the Associated Press" when it opened in DC in 2004 or when it traveled through your area, you can catch it now at the National Museum of the Marine Corps. It will be on display through the end of March.


DSC_3593


The case above displays artifacts of the war correspondent trade, small portable typewriters and HUGE cameras. I'm pretty sure the "Press" kevlar vest is recent history. The size of some of those things just blows my mind, My neck would break lugging one of those things around.


Look at the size of this thing! Holy cow!


DSC_3600


This Nikon F, 35mm SLR had been carried by a Marine Sgt at the time he was mortally wounded in 1966. I have a similar model camera that had belonged to my grandfather. This one clearly and its carrier went through some type of explosion as its pretty charred.


I gotta tell you I have been pretty rough with my Nikons throughout the years. Even dropped one onto concrete from several feet up and never cracked the lens or broke anything on the camera. Nikons are like tanks - - so this one, this one really got it.


DSC_3598

No comments: