Monday, December 24, 2007

Arrestable Offenses and Other Christmas Tales from DC


Found out, tonight, that it is an arrestable offense to set up a tripod on the sidewalk outside the White House fence. So let that piece of information be my Christmas gift to any and all of you who are planning a visit to the Capital of the United States.

The Secret Service officer was kinda cute, very nice - - great voice. As a woman, alone, in the dark, in DC, hearing a calm, deep, non-threatening voice behind you say "Ma'am, you can't use that tripod here", was very nice. Had a man yelled at me in a commanding, police voice, I probably would have wet my pants and screamed bloody murder. Oh, and I may have used my tripod on him. Yes, my tripod is my defensive weapon of opportunity when walking alone, in the dark, in DC. Amazing how when you walk confidently down the street, clutching a 'club' to your chest, everyone leaves you alone. Had I taken a swing at the Secret Service officer with my tripod, I would not be here writing this to you. It would not have been a Merry Christmas for me.

This was a magical Christmas Eve. One of the best I have had in a long time (sorry mom, dad and the rest of the family). Will share with you all in the morning.

Oh, the photo above is me sitting by the reflecting pool across from the Capital building.

No comments: