Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Recreation of a Successful Virginia Farm

My favorite things about the Yorktown Victory Center were the immersion type displays.

Clearly, this turkey wasn't afraid of losing his head.

DSC_0190

Below, a recreated, successful Virginia farm during the pre-revolution/revolution era. My ancestors were successful Virginia farmers (Not wealthy, but successful, according to documentation my family has). As I walked up to the farm, I imagined myself walking up to the S. farm.

DSC_0178

The house was modest, single room building with a loft.

DSC_0179

The lady of the house was de-seeding cotton... looked like quite the tedious chore.

DSC_0181

One one side of the room was the dining/work area, on the other was the bed. If there were additional children, they probably slept above in the loft.

DSC_0183

This "family" had a separate building that served as the kitchen.

DSC_0188

The barn was full of drying tobacco. Looks like they had a bumper crop, the barn rafters were full.

DSC_0194

Most households grew their own fruits and vegetables. This is the vegatable garden.

DSC_0198

No comments: