Sunday, February 17, 2008

Day 2 of the Iwo Jima Veterans Reunion and Symposium


The United States Marines are Great! This is General Robert Magnus, Assistant Commandant of the Marine Corps, the keynote speaker at this evening's dinner. He made a point of working the crowd of veterans and their families during the cocktail hour.


The keynote speaker for lunch was Lt. Gen. Richard Natonski, he also worked the crowd of veterans and their families during the lunch hour.


Both gave excellent talks.


The speakers today were wonderful! I took over 20 pages of notes. I'm not sharing with you what I've learned yet, I know. I learned SO much. I gotta tell you, if I had the free time, I'd love to just research stuff about the military, military history, Marine Corps and then write about it. This stuff just really interests me.


Funny thing, I was asked by someone at my table if I was with the press, because I was taking so many notes. I told them that I was a volunteer at the museum and I was taking notes so I could learn more - - and have more stories to tell visitors.


I've met some really neat people that I'd like to introduce you to here - - but its late, and I have the museum in the morning -- so again, I'm brushing you off. I'd just like to do a proper introduction for you. I've got some great new stories from veterans to incorporate into my tours. I'm really stoked about working the Iwo Immersion on my next working day at the museum (tomorrow isn't a working day by the way, I'm just going to follow the veterans through the galleries and listen to them).


I'll report back to you all tomorrow with an after action report.

No comments: