Saturday, November 8, 2008

The Marine Corps Embassy Security Group Celebrates the 233rd Birthday of the Marine Corps at the Museum

DSC_1339

The Marine Corps Embassy Security Group Battalion celebrated the 233rd birthday of the Marine Corps at the National Museum of the Marine Corps on Friday. This is the first unit to hold its Birthday Ball celebration at the museum.

These Marines are, as the name implies, the Marines that provide security at US Embassies around the world. Their school is located at Quantico, VA.

I have so much fun taking pictures of people having fun. So many beautiful dresses


DSC_1324


and of course what woman wouldn't want to be at an event with so many Marines in Dress Blues.

DSC_1519

One of the traditions that, this year, really touched me was the tradition of the empty table, for the Marines that are deployed or otherwise unable to be with their fellow Marines to celebrate the birthday.


DSC_1354


In addition to the empty table with a place setting, there is another empty table, covered in black, that symbolizes the Marines who have given the ultimate sacrifice for their country. On the table, a purple heart, candle and identification tags.


DSC_1522


The identification tags are blank. As the narrator read the reason, a chill ran down my spine. The tags are blank because they have the potential to carry the name of any one of the Marines sitting there this evening. It is very sobering when that realization hits you. If but for the grace of God go I.


DSC_1523


Lots of fun and dancing was had by the younger Marines.


DSC_1575


While this might seem like a bad picture to you. I kind of like it because is shows such fast movement. I took this from the very top of the superstructure looking almost straight down (I'm not very steady as I'm swallowing the urge to throw-up I've been having an extremely bad time with high places since the Ropes Course - - I suppose if I had thrown up, that would have been a pretty interesting event, in and of itself - - a lot worse than bird droppings - - but I digress). It was fascinating to see the blur effects on the pictures I took from up top, very circular, as the Marines would move in to shake hands, be introduced and then move out of the circle at the same time servers and other guests maneuvered around them.


DSC_1495


Some more dancing to round out the evening. I will fill you all in on the fun time tonight with my friends at our Docent Birthday Celebration.


DSC_1589

2 comments:

Miss Em said...

Glad you had fun.
Sorry to learn of the problem with heights. I know those feelings.
Can hardly wait to hear how you 'Birthday Ball' went. Hope you have your arms full of strong and fun loving Marines of all ages.

Anonymous said...

I like the grandma-in-uniform pic!

By the way, belated happy birthday to the Marines!!